SAMHSA has released Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for High Schools. This downloadable toolkit represents the best available evidence and expert opinion on preventing suicide among high school students. It provides schools with recommended steps and accompanying tools to guide them in creating and implementing strategies and programs that prevent teen suicide and promote behavioral health among their students.
Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for High Schools will help schools and their partners:
- Assess their ability to prevent suicide among students and respond to suicides that may occur.
- Understand strategies that can help students who are at risk for suicide.
- Understand how to respond to the suicide of a student or other member of the school community.
- Identify suicide prevention programs and activities that are effective for the needs of individual schools.
- Respond to the needs and cultures of each school's students.Integrate suicide prevention into activities that fulfill other aspects of the school's mission such as preventing the abuse of alcohol and other drugs. - taken from website