Monday, August 6, 2012

Do I Need an Admin Endorsement?

About four years ago my director told me that I needed to go back to school and obtain my educational leadership endorsement! UGH!!!!! The last thing I wanted to do was go back to school...and especially for ed leadership. I had NO desire to become a school administrator. So I enrolled in a local program and spent every other weekend for 1.5 years obtaining this endorsement. There were only two school counselors out of 20+ people in the cohort. I must say, this was one of the most beneficial things I have ever done. First, I learned that they rarely consider the school counselor in these programs. They talk about the secretaries, custodians and cafeteria workers before they even utter school counselor. Second, I learned how to think like an administrator and talk...like an administrator. This makes my life much more easier. Last, if you are a school counselor in a building and you are thinking that you would like to go "downtown" to "central office", you are going to need it. More and more school divisions are making this certification the minimum requirement for central office jobs.

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment