If you have not seen the Framework for Safe and Successful Schools then here is your chance to take a look at it. The following organizations came together to create a document for improving school safety and increasing access to mental health supports for children and youth:
American School Counselor Association (ASCA): www.schoolcounselor.org National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP): www.naesp.org
National Association of School Psychologists (NASP): www.nasponline.org
National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO): www.nasro.org
National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP): www.nassp.org School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA): www.sswaa.org
- Begin with proactive principal leadership.
- Allow school leaders to deploy human and financial resources in a manner that best meets the needs of their school and community.
- Provide a team-based framework to facilitate effective coordination of services and interventions.
- Balance the needs for physical and psychological safety.
- Employ the necessary and appropriately trained school-employed mental health and safety personnel.
- Provide relevant and ongoing professional development for all staff.
- Integrate a continuum of mental health supports within a multitiered system of supports.
- Engage families and community providers as meaningful partners.
- Remain grounded in the mission and purpose of schools: teaching and learning.
Enjoy for this is a great collaborative effort!