Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Check Out Your Master's Degree +30 Pay Option

At our city-wide elementary meeting last week, I mentioned obtaining CEU's "for those of you who are working on your Master's +30". Out of 80 school counselors about 2/3 of the personnel did not know what I was talking about. I was shocked! So I had to explain and then refer to Human Resources for more information. So this got me thinking about how many other school counselors across the country have no idea that they can obtain another pay increase. So let me break it down for you...

A master's +30 on the pay scale is 30 credits or 10 classes past a master's degree. Historically, master's level teachers who obtained a administrative endorsement, EdS or additional master's qualified for this. Also those teachers who obtained a master's and then went on to obtain a school counseling degree qualified for the master's +30. However, in today's world where the majority of school counselors have never been a teacher, these school counselors are stuck at master's level pay. So there are a couple of options for those of you who wish to increase you annual pay by $500.00 to $1000.00 a year (depending on your school division)
  • Take a mixture of 10 educational based courses
  • Obtain an EdS in counseling (which includes some clinical counseling and no school)
  • Obtain an EdS or endorsement in admistration 

Be sure to check with your human resources department because some have subject/content area stipulations on what counts.

This also sparked another idea that counselor education programs need to create an Advanced Certficate for practicing school counselors who want to obtain a master's +30! They would be advanced school counselor courses only. Universities could join together for a consortium to save on personnel and space costs. I would LOVE to see this happen in the next few years! 

....STAY extraordinary!

No comments:

Post a Comment