Friday, May 1, 2015

Human Trafficking of Middle and High School Students



Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to have a local organization come and speak to the secondary department chairs about human trafficking. I am going to be honest. When I think about human trafficking, I think about large cities or oversees or even a sex slave. I don't think sex trade. I don't think middle school and high school girls or boys who suddenly have an "older" boyfriend or friend who is getting them into the business; but it is and they do. This group taught us some of the signs to look for.

I learned that today's "pimps" look like you and me. They are not the stereotypical African American male with the wild outfits and an overabundance of jewelry. They dress regularly. They can be male or female. They can be young or old. They can be any race or ethnic background. I learned that they "shop" our youth (male and female). They frequent places where our youth go to hang out or work. They befriend them. They buy them expensive items. Then they get them to into the sex trade industry as exotic dancers, prostitutes or enter them into a call service. Most of the time they get them hooked on drugs and alcohol.

The Prevention Project believes that in order to eradicate Human Trafficking, the selling of human beings for profit, we must educate young people on the lures of trafficking, and invest in character and leadership development; so we not only prevent sex trafficking from occurring, but create and equip leaders to bring a lasting change for our communities and beyond. - taken from website

Moreover, they have a curriculum for youth that can be used with afterschool groups or clubs, as well as within the classroom. I pride myself on being an eternal student, a life-long learner...well I learned something extremely impactful this week!

Curriculum Summary Sheet


Please share this very important information so that we can educate everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I've just downloaded iStripper, and now I can watch the hottest virtual strippers on my taskbar.

    ReplyDelete