Sunday, January 31, 2016

Book Review: Behind the Counselor's Door: Teenagers' True Confessions, Trials and Triumphs

Click here to view larger image


I have to admit that when I first read the title of this book, I was scared. I was scared because I thought "Oh, no! This is going to compromise the profession of school counseling. Students are not going to trust us. They are not going to want to come to see us". However, after completing the book, I don't think that way at all. I can see the rationale behind wanting to share stories of teens with other teens, because sometimes young adults think they are the only ones who are going through that situation. They don't think there is anyone else their age who has the same experiences that they do. This book proves that point. Kevin Kuczynski's book was tastefully and thoughtfully written; and I could easily find myself recalling similar scenarios with my former students. The book is broken up into three sections: School, Life and Tips to Succeed. While I liked the book, and it covered serious topics like what to do if your parents are alcoholics and teen sex; other topics like LGBTQ issues, being a bi-racial student and depression were not discussed. These topics seem to be ever present in today's schools and effect students all the time. Nonetheless, it is a great read for students and parents alike. I can even see this book being used with small groups of high school students as "what if?" or "what would you do?" scenarios, which could lead to rich and empowering discussions about the aforementioned areas of a teen's life. 


Behind the Counselor's Door



Enjoy!




Tracy is a School Counseling Supervisor with a PhD in Counseling, National Certified Counselor (NCC), National Certified School Counselor (NCSC), Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS), Distance Certified Counselor (DCC), Educational and Vocational Guidance Practitioner (EVGP), blogger at The Extraordinary School Counselor, a place where one can find information and resources for today's school counselor...with an occasional rant thrown in the mix!, andExtraordinary School Counseling, LLC which provides resume reviews for school counseling graduate students and school counseling professionals.

You can find Tracy on LinkedInGoogle+, and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment